A Countrywide Escape in Cheshunt
Dating back to the 15th-century, the Theobalds Estate in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire has had several former lives: the favourite country seat of King James I, a Georgian family home, a temporary retreat for Christopher Wren’s Temple Bar archway and a WWII military riding school and most recently one of Hertfordshire’s most luxurious and sought after hotels.
The heart of the estate is the mansion house that was built in 1763. Grade II listed, the building marries towering turrets, elegant arched windows, and a warm red brick façade with 21st-century style to create a memorable setting for a range of meetings and events, as well as an ideal wedding venue in Hertfordshire. Surrounded by acres of fields, it is perfect for those looking to tie the knot with a country wedding theme.
Looking out across the landscaped Italian gardens and the Hertfordshire countryside beyond, it is easy to forget that the Theobalds Estate is only 10 miles north of central London, and just minutes away from J25 of the M25.
Free, superfast Wi-Fi with a maximum bandwidth of 100Mb is available throughout the hotel.
Food & Drink in Hertfordshire
Contemporary Dining with a traditional English Twist
In the 19th Century, one of the Theobalds Estate’s former residents, Lady Meux, a Victorian socialite, famously used to entertain an array of guests from King Edward VII to Winston Churchill.
This tradition continues with a range of celebrations taking place from large, elaborate parties for up to 180 guests in The Ridings Barn, to smaller private dinners in The Boardroom, with its detailed oak paneling and bay windows overlooking the gardens. No matter the size, theme or occasion of your celebration, you can assure the team here at the Theobalds Estate in Cheshunt will be able to assist you in every way.
At The Academy Restaurant and Temple Bar, visitors can expect a rich selection of seasonal foods with menus serving up a range of modern British cuisine, including English dinner & lunch, as well as an array of well-known and loved classics.
Raise a Glass in Temple Bar
In honour of the hotel’s rich heritage and reputation, the bar has been named after the fine stone arch; Temple Bar, which stood in the hotel grounds from 1887 – 2003.
Originally sat between Fleet Street and The Strand, the arch was designed by Christopher Wren, and was transported to the Estate at former resident Lady Meux’s request.
Today, guests can enjoy a range of beers and wines alongside a menu of classic dishes including deli-burgers and wood-fired pizzas.
Meeting Rooms in Hertfordshire
Just 10 miles north of Central London and minutes away from J25 of the M25, we offer one of the most convenient conference venues in Hertfordshire. The Theobalds Estate creates a real talking point for business and training events in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire with its 29 meeting spaces, 55 acres of grounds and a unique Academy.
Full of original Georgian features and plenty of charm, a number of meetings spaces are available in the Mansion House including The Boardroom, with its detailed oak paneling and beautiful bay windows overlooking the gardens. Whilst The Lambton, with space for up to 80 guests, has French doors leading out to the Italian gardens.
For larger events, with space for up to 180 guests, the Ridings Barn sits at the southern end of the Estate. A modern and light space, with a stylish barn conversion feel, there is also a pretty courtyard outside – ideal for breakout drinks and dining.
Enhanced with 21st Century features, each space also offers intuitive, smart technology, free, full coverage, superfast Wi-Fi up to 100 m from the hotel, nutritious food for well-being and a dedicated conference host.
- Ideally located just 10 miles north of central London and only minutes away from J25 of the M25
- Free parking available on site
- Free, full coverage, superfast Wi-Fi with a maximum bandwidth of 100Mb available throughout and up to 100 metres in the grounds
- From a unique Academy in the grounds to the Ridings Barns: 29 event spaces for up to 180 guests
- 55 acres of grounds are ideal for outdoor events and team building exercise with the help of intuitive and smart technology, as well as a dedicated in-house tech savvy support team
- Dedicated conference host on hand throughout to help with the event
- Nutritionist approved food for wellness and a healthy body & mind
A Storied Wedding Venue
It’s difficult not to think about the history of the Theobalds Estate in Cheshunt as you sweep up the drive to this elegant redbrick mansion house. The grand architecture and elegance of the Theobalds Estate makes it not only one of the most sought after wedding venues in Hertfordshire but also England, with an array of our guests travelling from across the country to host their wedding with us.
Always popular with brides and grooms, weddings in the main house have an exclusive feel with access to the entire ground floor. Full of original Georgian features and charm, there are a number of spaces for both your ceremony and celebration.
- Two unrivaled wedding spaces: the Ridings Barn (until January 2020) and outdoor courtyard, and the Georgian Mansion
- Set in 55 acres of parkland where beautiful Italian gardens create a unique spot for photographs
- A great location for guest travel - just 10 miles north of central London and only minutes away from J25 of the M25
- Fully licensed for both indoor and outdoor civil ceremonies in Hertfordshire
- 140 bedrooms for your guests
- Wedding breakfast and party menus curated by the Executive Chef team
- Free parking for the wedding party is available onsite
- A dedicated wedding team to help every step of the way; from first enquiry to the big day itself